Wednesday, May 2, 2012

My Odd Tissue Expanders

I sometimes check my blog traffic to see what exactly people google to end up on my blog.
I see a ton of "tissue expanders"and "what will I look like after my mastectomy?" traffic.
I'm not surprised. That's exactly what I googled when I was first diagnosed. I found very little.

To make this blog work to it's fullest potential, I will show you what I look like. I hope it helps you to see that they're odd little buggers....but temporary.
It doesn't mean this is what you will look like, but it's a good starting point.

I have a serious love/hate relationships with my expanders.
I like them because they make me appear to have boobs....really large boobs, actually.
For someone like me, who had virtually NO boobs prior, I kind of enjoy them.

In the middle of the night when I can't get comfortable because they're poking me- and I feel like my ribs are breaking, I'm not such a fan.
It all evens out. Temporary, temporary!

Here's the good part to my story.....Dr. Migliori said that since my skin responded insanely well after radiation, I don't have to wait the full six months to have my exchange surgery.
I will be getting my new boobs on August 30th. Woo hoo!

This is pretty fabulous news.
Here are some pics of my crazy boobs now. The whole process of boobs, cancerous boob, no boobs, small boobs to big boobs is truly amazing.

Since my mastectomy on January 3rd, I have been inflated 500 ccs on the left and 540 ccs on the right.
The expanders were put in wide because of my need for radiation through the middle of my chest.
I have not worn a bra since January 3rd. I can run with these bad boys and they don't move an inch.
I should run more. :)

The last picture shows a dot in the middle of my ribs. That's one of my radiation tattoos. I have (I think) four of them. They're permanent.








7 comments:

  1. You are awesome to show everyone what breast cancer looks like. We hear the words so often, but we don't really know what it is like until someone is brave enough to really share their full experience. One brave, busty chick!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that they were able to move up your surgery date! Your boobs make you look like on of the Real Housewives of OC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm following your story - dug right through from the beginning. I'm so amazed by your willingness to put it all out there.

    I'm at the start of my journey - bone cancer - there is so little out there for people going through this.

    But I'm blogging now. Telling my story. To help the next person that comes along. Like you are.

    http://www.roll-the-bones.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked out your blog, Kat. Good stuff! I'm interested to read more. I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but glad that you're going to share your story. It's so important for the next unlucky ones like us.
      Talk soon!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im hoping that you get this. I just finished my fills today and they are so far apart. i hate it. And I know they say itll be different when they do the exchange, but for now I cant help but to tear up. I was wondering if you had after picture of the exchange? right now my mind is set that i'll look weird forever. =[

    ReplyDelete

  6. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete