Thursday, March 29, 2012

March 29

I have one day of radiation left and I couldn't be happier.
My "class" of radiation friends are already gone. I was the only one who had to take a break in the middle of treatment.

Because of that, I was able to meet a new patient in the new group yesterday.
She was around 40 and looked scared as hell. She told me that she was having a spot in her shoulder/back radiated and that because of the range of the lasers, she was having a hard time swallowing.

I'm nosy and I asked more questions. She said that 5 weeks ago, she was diagnosed with a mass in her back. It turns out that she had undiagnosed breast cancer, for who knows how long, and it had metastisized to her bones.
The only thing I could say was, "..so you're stage 4 already."
She nodded and told me that this last month has been a whirlwind.

The statistics show that her chances of being alive 5 years from now are a little less than 20%.

I cannot even imagine. I tried to reassure her that the statistics don't matter as much as your attitude. I hope she fights.

I am so grateful, once again, that I found my lump. This woman could have been me.
I'm so sad that this is happening to her and so many others.
I hate cancer so fucking much.

This is one of those times where I wish women were proactively offered mammograms at an earlier age. If she would have found her breast cancer a few years ago, her prognosis would be better.


On to happier things....
I'm off to appreciate the sun with my littles!

9 comments:

  1. 1 left!
    Angela, I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I don't tell you enough but you are amazing and I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Allison! I think you're pretty fab also. :)

      Delete
  3. Hello,
    I came across your website and found it very enjoyable. I just had a couple of questions so if you could e-mail me back that would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    I came across your website and found it very enjoyable. I just had a couple of questions so if you could e-mail me back that would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. Saw your blog through FB Tamlyn and think it's so cool that you reach out to others in such an honest no-BS way. I posted a link to your blog from my blog, www.soulinspiration33.blogspot.com. Hope you don't mind :)

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete