Thursday, January 26, 2012

Filled to the brim

I had my final expander fill yesterday. I'm glad it's done, but I'm nervous that I didn't push for one more fill. I hope they will be big enough.
Dr. Migliori has said that anything over 510 ccs on my frame is going to look unnatural and be a pain for my every day life.
I trust him, so that's where we stopped.

I'm back on the pain pills at night for sleeping purposes. Nighttime is just like mastectomy time all over again. I'm starting to think that the pain I attributed to my mastectomies was actually more to do with the tissue expanders. I can sleep in bed instead of the recliner, but I wake up very often.
Thankfully, it only lasts about 4-5 days post fill and then just goes back to the weird numbness. Because of the size and stretching involved this time, it feels like my sternum is cracking when I lie down.

The almighty Migs thinks my boobs will be fantastic when this process is all over. He recommends that I moisturize "the shit" out of them with Cocoa Butter. I love it when doctors throw out a random swear word here and there. It makes them seem like real people.
To any curious folks, Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula is paraben-free! :)

He again talked about how "remarkable" it was that I was a complete response to the chemo and that he thinks I should have been included in a study. There aren't many documented cases of the aftermath of people who have Neo-adjuvant therapy. Neo-Adjuvant means that I had chemo BEFORE surgery and radiation. It never gets old to hear that your body responded well. God and chemo had my back!

We talked about my crazy appointment with the radiologist a couple days ago. He said that Dr. Herman actually called him and that he acted like he had no idea what to do with me so he was going to refer me to Abbott. Migs said he acted like it was his first day on the job. Wow.
The good part is, Dr Migliori wanted me to go to Dr. Sullivan at Abbott the whole time and was planning on bringing it up to me anyways. He agreed that Dr Herman appeared to be a whack.

There is a really high tech machine at Abbott that they will be using on me. It's only a couple years ago and will have less "collateral damage". It will protect my heart and they may not have to deflate my right expander. That would be nice.
Here's a pic of the machine. Looks like fun.

1 comment:

  1. Well I'm glad the docs are all on the same page now. I really hope you don't have to deflate at all for the process as well.
    Still thinking of you every day, and hoping you have more restful nights. Hang in there babe.

    ReplyDelete